Nukkit server on LAN doesn't show as "Friend"

Lionking

Hello,

I just managed to start a Nukkit server for my kids on LAN. The problem I encounter now: the server doesn't show up on the "friends" tab automatically, but needs to be added manually on the "Server" tab. To login, everybody is forced to sign-up for a XBox / MS account, what I don't want to for my kids.

So my question : what do I have to do / config, that the server will show up in the "friends" tab, as any other local Minecraft game on Android ? I found a smilliar problem at the post "Local server is blocking my IP address and other things" , but it didn't help. The server has the static IP 192.168.1.20, is in the same WLan as the Android devices and uses the same router to access the LAN. My config:

Raspi 3B+ (OS Raspbian Buster Lite + Java 9)
Nukkit Build #630 (default config)
Minecraft Bedrock 1.14.3 (Android 6)

Thanks for any hints !
Lionking

Lionking

Hi,

thanks for hint, but that didn't work. The problem is, that you need to sign in an account at MS to get the permission (!) to play on "remote servers" at all. I don't accept this approach for the privacy of my kids and me, to login at MS when we want to play on our LAN.

So what can be done, that this local server is accepted as a local game by Bedrock edition ? Are there any flags to mark it as a "local game" like a hosted game on Android would be ? Or any settings on the Raspberry ?

Cheers
Lionking

IdarT

While there are plugins for the Java edition (and I tried to port one), the way this works has apparently changed.

The server is apparently no longer supposed to send multicast packets for this every 1.5 seoncds. Instead, it looks like clients are sending a UDP request from port 54455 (?) to the LAN's broadcast address, port 19132.

Nukkit doesn't seem to respond to this request. And if you (like me) have it running at that default port, a plugin can't bind to it either. Which means this has to be handled in the server itself. And if the server is running on a different port, it would still have to respond to these LAN requests on port 19132.

For the iOS version of Minecraft, if you add the server and then remove it again, it will temporarily show under "Friends" (for maybe 5 - 10 seconds). Presumably because the client has cached some information about its existence. This is of course very cumbersome to do every time you want to play.

Sleepybear

Staff member
A Nukkit server can show up on the Friends' tab. I'm pretty sure it is client side bug on the fact it shows up sometimes and not others.

IdarT

A Nukkit server can show up on the Friends' tab. I'm pretty sure it is client side bug on the fact it shows up sometimes and not others.
You mean you know this for a fact? I.e. it's actually supposed to work, and does work for some?

It never shows up on the "Friend's" tab for me. As I said, it's only there for 5-10 seconds after I remove it as a server.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "client side bug"? The "client" in this case, as I understand it, is Minecraft for iOS and Windows 10. Starting a game on one of the clients shows up on the "Friend's" tab as they should. Indicating that there's nothing blocking the traffic.

Lionking

Hello dear Miners,

thanks for your active support and ideas . I feel a bit sheepish about it, but the solution was simple: inadequate configuration.

I setup the Raspi with a static IP and thought, that the NukkitX server needs to be configured the same way:
#server.properties#
server-ip= 192.168.1.xx

That was the fault ! If you setup an IP here, Nukkit shows up at the "Server" tab. If you leave it blank, then it shows up at the "Friends" tab:

server-ip=

So easy, but I didn't find any word in the documentation that it is necessary to leave it blank for "friends" play, it was just "recommended". Should be pointed our more clearly in the doc. what effect this entry has, especially for newbies.
Sorry !

Last edited:

IdarT

server-ip= 192.168.1.xx

That was the fault ! If you setup an IP here, Nukkit shows up at the "Server" tab. If you leave it blank, then it shows up at the "Friends" tab:

server-ip=
Ah! Good call! That it makes sense - if it manages to propagate that all the way down to the socket, it would probably bind to a wildcard address. I'll try this as well.

Somewhat strange that this isn't the default (it defaults to 0.0.0.0).